You asked - we delivered.
The updated version of the essential facts and figures about the UK charity sector at your fingertips, including statistics on volunteering, donations, size of the sector and more. Take a look at the 10 key figures below and download the full article for more:
10 key facts
- There are 880,000 paid employees in the charity sector
- There are nearly 200,000 registered charities in the UK
- The total income of all charities combined is about £48 billion. This is higher than the Higher Education sector, and about £10 billion less than Tesco.
- The voluntary sector contributes approximately £15.3bn to UK GVA – more than the arts or agriculture.
- The value of formal volunteering in the UK is around £22.6bn
- Individuals account for almost half of the sector’s total income
- The median for the 100 highest paid positions is £185K per annum
- Charities have over 10 regulators
- Charities fund almost half of all medical research in the UK
- 35% of the total voluntary sector workforce work in the social care subsector